[ Calendar10:10 | PortWebsite | StuWebs | Port1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Showcase | Presentation ]
[ Ch 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 || AppDatabase | Ex1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ]
[ HW 1| 2 | 3 | 4 | | Career1| 2 | 3 ] [ SJU | TCB | CareerCtr | StuInfo | CareerLinks ] [ SJU Closing ] [H1N1SelfAssessment]
ItemsAs discussed in Career Exercises 1, and 2, the Strategy Development Process consists of:
To help you in the process of developing an appropriate strategy for you career, wordprocess a
¶ What Do I Like to Do Most in Terms of Interests (refer back to pages 4 and 5 of your Assessment Booklet),
¶ What Do I Do Best in Terms of Skills (refer back to pages 6 and 7 of your Assessment Booklet),
¶ What Life Style Do I Wish to Lead
· work time - 40, 50, 60, . . . hours/week,
· work location - Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, LI, small city, . . .
· home location - Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, LI, small city, . . .
· travel time - 10, 60, 120, . . . minutes/day
· firm size - large, small, business for self
¶ What Matters to Me - Values
· adding new skills - not important, important, very important
· having a leadership role - not important, important, very important
· advancing within the organization - not important, important, very important
· working in an ethical environment - not important, important, very important
¶ What is My Career Strategy for the Next Five Years.
As a sample strategy, consider an accounting major, who, before the Self Assessment, thought she would work in the accounting department of a large firm, get a masters in accounting, and perhaps become departmental manager some day. After the Self Assessment, she realized that she has always enjoyed museums. As a result, her strategy became to work in the accounting department of a museum in Manhattan, get an MBA in management, and advance to senior management at a museum.
Update your resume to reflect your career strategy. (Optional - attend a
Career Center Resume Workshop.)
Verbal:Be prepared to discuss (or any class after) your career strategy. The format will be to come to the front of the room, sit in a desk next to mine, and then informally discuss your results of Career Exercises 2, and 3 by presenting:
Written: Submitted with
Homework Set II.
(This page was last edited on August 30, 2009.)